Choose your favourite photographer: Our Black Oystercatcher competition
Riaan Jacobs Photography
Over the past year, we’ve featured 4 incredible local nature photographers and their favourite Black Oystercatcher photos. It all started as we celebrated this Birdlife South Africa Bird of the Year (in 2018).
Now we need your help (it’s a chance to do something good for someone else). Vote for your favourite nature photographer
(of the 4 local photographers showcased below).
And show your support for the conservation of these special birds.
(What’s more, the photographer with the most likes/comments/shares wins a weekend getaway to the Black Oystercatcher Cottages).
Here are your 4 options:
“This was a summer love story – I captured the chicks on the day they were born and then decided to track their progress. It was a journey showing nature’s resilience. The parents were phenomenal and protective. I spent an hour every day with the family – from the time they were born to 92 days later when I saw them in flight!”
Photographer Jenny Parsons, on how she captured these amazing photos of Black Oystercatchers. Jenny is a self-taught amateur photographer, birder, and fynbos enthusiast. She says, “I carry my camera everywhere!” And her photos capture her outlook on life – live, love & laugh…
VOTE FOR JENNY
Struisbaai photographer, Stefan Smit Photography has prime access to Black Oystercatcher birds – every day. And therefore the opportunities to capture these birds on camera.
Stefan says, “I currently shoot with a Nikon D850 and use various prime, telephoto and wide angle lenses.” He specialises in nature photography and fine-art.
VOTE FOR STEFAN
“Photography is a love since forever! A love of nature and photography means you grab the camera whenever you go outdoors… Photographing nature teaches patience and the rewards are enormous, most often the best experiences are those the camera was too slow to capture but your eyes did!”
If you’re from the Overberg, chances are you know this photographer: Sharon Brink. Sharon took these beautiful BlackOystercatcher photos. Her favourite spots to photograph these birds? Koppie Alleen and Van Dyksbaai.
VOTE FOR SHARON
Riaan Jacobs Photography
Riaan Jacobs Photography captured these beautiful Black Oystercatcher pics. Riaan says he lives in the “paradise for outdoor photography, all year round” – in the town of Gansbaai, Western Cape, close to our Wine Farm. His favourite subjects? Landscapes, wildlife and nature; and anything with a story to tell.
We think he tells this story of growing, living and feeding along our precious coastline, beautifully.
VOTE FOR RIAAN
Competition Terms and Conditions
Competition closes on Friday 21 June 2019, at 5pm.
- The prize is an evening for the winning photographer at the Black Oystercatcher cottages for two.
- The prize can be used when the cottages are available.
- This prize is worth R990.
- The winner will be announced on Monday 24 June 2019.
- The winner will be chosen by adding all likes, comments and shares on the Black Oystercatcher Facebook, Twitter and Instagram platforms.
- Black Oystercatcher’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- We reserve the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions.
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- We reserve the right to delete and remove any inappropriate comments on social media, and to ban individuals who may leave inappropriate comments.
- Prize cannot be exchanged for money.
- Prize is valid for one year.
- The winner will receive a message via email, and the winner’s name will appear on Black Oystercatchers social media platforms.
- Prize collection will be arranged with the Black Oystercatcher administration team.
- We acknowledge that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook or Instagram.
If it rains on your wedding day, then you’ve been showered with blessings.
The Black Oystercatcher is one of the prettiest venues that we looked at and marrying here was definitely the best choice we could make.
Die spyskaart maak ’n groot deel uit van die geselligheid by jou troue. Yolanda Wessels gesels met Black Oystercatcher Wines oor opsies.
Our Wedding Venue
The wedding venue with a difference
We added a new venue to our centuries-old farmstead in 2016. It’s a venue that merges perfectly with the rich Overberg country: glass doors and windows all around, connecting you to nature.
Exposed brick walls, wooden beams, and a large veranda leading out to the infinity pool. And beyond that, the stretching Agulhas Plain countryside. Find out more.
Black Oystercatcher Venue on Instagram